Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Shadow Box Tutorial for Digital Delights Monday Hostess

Good Morning everyone, Happy Monday!

Today it’s my turn for the Hostess Monday spot over at Digital Delights
I have a fun project I am sharing along with a tutorial on how you can 
create your own Shadow Box 
I will forewarn you this is a long post with lots of pictures, so you might want to grab
Your favorite cup of choice, as I share how I created a  fun Shadow Box 



Once I created my Shadow Box I began decorating each of the windows
using Wendy's adorable images and sentiments.
My first area showcases Hip Hop Myrtle Turtle. second window I used 
one of the sentiments from the Dream Sentiment set, I also added Follow Your Dreams from the 
same collection, my last window I added Dilly Duck with Ladybug.



For the out sides of my box I covered with 12" x 1" strips of decorative paper, created a fun 
bow using the same papers and then added a felt flower and button

I have seen a few of these shadow boxes around blog land, and loved the concept of the idea. I couldn’t find a tutorial per say so I decided to try my hand at creating my own, which I found to be very easy and fun to do.

Supplies: To create a 8x8 Shadow Box 
12 x 12 cardstock (I used white but you can use a color)
One 8” x 4 “  card stock
Two  4” X 4” card stock
  •                    Scor-Pal™ or other scoring tool
  •                     Adhesive
  •                     Bone Folder
  •                     Scissors
  •                     Hot Glue Gun
Additional cardstock, patterned paper and embellishments for decoration





Step 1 score 12x12 card stock at 1" and 2 " on all four sides

Here is what you should have 

Step 2 - Using scissors cut away the three corner block on all four sides
to create your corners




Step 3 - once you have cut away the three corner squares
then score the middle square down the middle to create a clean
pleat for your corners




Step 4 Prefold all scores with bone folder

Step 5 - Add Sticky tape to one side of your corner pleat 
and along the edge ( I do this so it will hold the side flaps down)


Step 6 - remove your tape film from corner pleate and adhere
on all four corners 


Step 7 - remove your tape film from each side flap and fold down inside 
your 8x8 shadow box base is completed 


Step 8 - score your One 8" x 4" and your Two 4"x 4"  piece of card stock at 
1", 2" and 3" 


Step 9 - Prefold scores  in a mountain/valley style fold (up and down)
on all three pieces to create your Shadow Box dividers


Step 10 - I adhere the middle with tape to secure the 
fold 



Step 11 - find the middle of your shadow box and tape
your 8x4 folded divider in place

Step 12 - repeat with the Two 4x4 dividers, place where 
you wish to create your individual windows within your Shadow box base 


Step 13 once you have decided where you want your 
dividers and they are taped in place - I then use my hot glue gun
and add a dot or two of glue to the Shadow Box side and 
divider to hold them together, I also add a dab of hot glue to
the middle divider and the smaller dividers.



Now you are ready to create and  decorate your own Shadow Box! 
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did making it!







Crafty Hugs’ Jacki

Pin It

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is just gorgeous shadow box,love the image and fab colours, really need to make one, great tutorial....Big hugs Jo xxx

Sandra H said...

Oh wow this is gorgeous! great tutorial too:)x

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love to read your comments and appreciate each one of them!
Crafty Hug's xxx